Neuro linguistic programming is a specially designed programming model used to enhance the human mind operations. It is a program made to increase the overall functioning (psychological as well as physical) of an individual. It is used to get better results, to increase the performance of the individual, to reach the goal, or to overcome some psychological disorders such as anxiety, phobia, depression etc. It is a constantly developing set of models, which involves various techniques and presuppositions derived from the observations of the behavior and communication of the individual. Presuppositions are basically the assumptions or central principles made by people, which is useful in implementing the changes, either to themselves or to others. These are several presuppositions in NLP. A person undergoing NLP has to believe these assumptions to be true:
1. "We all are in charge of our own minds, and therefore our results."
An individual is responsible for his own actions. Take responsibility and do not blame others for any situation you are in.
2. "You already have all the resources you need."
Don't wait for the opportunities or miracles. Work sincerely, success will definitely follow you.
3. "Mind and body form a linked system."
Mind and body works together. Think positive as negative thinking can affect the performance and body functions as well.
4. "There is a positive intention behind every individual's behavior."
Analyze every behavior. Look for the positive intentions in any behavior. It widens the choices. Everyone is useful in some way, only if you identify that way.
5. "There is no such thing as failure. There is only feedback."
If at first you do not succeed in your attempt, it is not a failure. You just have to be persistent and keep trying. Learn from your mistakes and don't repeat them; only then you will succeed.
6. "Choice is better than no choice."
Any option is better than having no options at all.
7. "If whatever you are doing isn't working, do something else."
You should always be flexible. Being flexible creates many options for an individual.
8. "If someone can do it, anyone can learn it."
If something is possible, then there has to be a way to do it.
9. "Always respect the other person's model of the world."
Every individual has his own set of assumptions and beliefs. Everyone creates his own unique world around himself. Do respect other people's world of experiences.
10. "You cannot fail to communicate."
People are always communicating either verbally or non-verbally, using body language. Body language plays an important role in a person's social and personal life.